Wednesday, February 17, 2016
P-S-Eh? : 13 WAYS NOT TO BURN YOUR HOME!
Danny Blaze was a short-lived Charlton comic featuring the fire-fighting adventures of its eponymous hero. Being in the fire prevention biz, Danny Blaze also came complete with handy hints on how to avoid burning your personal domicile and everyone in it to ash. Number three, urging you to have your last cigarette of the day before you go to bed, rather than as you lie in it dozing, is particularly of-the-age (one hopes), even among portable stoves and giving matches to children as though they were a Christmas present. I strongly suspect you'd find the same "Why should I wear a seatbelt, it's the other drivers who need to wear seat belts" type complaining about being asked not to smoke in bed. "I don't have time to smoke AND go to bed. Anyway, it's other people who need to be concerned about smoking in bed, I know what I'm doing" *FWOOOOF* and then they and everything they ever owned can share the same urn.
Other ways to not burn your home:
15. Erect bonfires away from bedrooms, closets, and master bathrooms
16. When barbecuing or grilling, take it outside and use an actual grill rather than a pile of hot coals poured underneath a radiator.
17. Do not store hot ashes and burning lumber in your linen closet, or anywhere else you already store towels.
18. Do not substitute wallpaper paste with Sterno.
19. Your arsonist cousin "Buggy" is a bad choice for a housesitter.
20. Replace wall-mounted torches with less fiery sources of light.
21. Never anger Hephaestus, the god of fire and blacksmithing.
22. Offer burnt sacrifices only on your outdoor altar. Reserve your interior altar for small offerings of gold and wine.
23. Do not set your house on fire.
I hope that helps, stay safe kids!
Welcome to Defenders Week on Gone&Forgotten, a celebration of Marvel's inspired and neurotic team of D-Listers, third-stringers, and...
Hey all! I usually write the entries for Gone&Forgotten a month or more in advance. Unfortunately -- or, actually, really fortunate...
Karaoke night is going all sorts of downhill. Neal Adams is going to leave behind him a fairly complicated legacy. On the one hand - a...
"Like my vacuum cleaner with the hot rod flames painted on it, or the guy feeding jackets to a large steak knife." In the ear...
"...and No More Lonely Nights." Over in the Gone&Forgotten Tumblr , I’ve started an occasional series of entries en...
Many years before the debut of Krypto the Superdog, there was a floppy-eared superhero dog enjoying an adventure or two in the pages of ...
With superhero television programs blowing up in the last few years, recaps of superhero television shows have become all the internet rage...
Phallic object upon phallic object, the basis of all mythology. Among the workhorses on the writing staff of the Pre-Crisis Superman, ...
Since The League of Regrettable Superheroes was published, there are a few criticisms I tend to hear repeated. About half of it comes in...
Makes her sound like a county fair shooting gallery prize. Considering that comic books barely have any women in them at all, it se...