Wednesday, February 17, 2016
P-S-Eh? : 13 WAYS NOT TO BURN YOUR HOME!
Danny Blaze was a short-lived Charlton comic featuring the fire-fighting adventures of its eponymous hero. Being in the fire prevention biz, Danny Blaze also came complete with handy hints on how to avoid burning your personal domicile and everyone in it to ash. Number three, urging you to have your last cigarette of the day before you go to bed, rather than as you lie in it dozing, is particularly of-the-age (one hopes), even among portable stoves and giving matches to children as though they were a Christmas present. I strongly suspect you'd find the same "Why should I wear a seatbelt, it's the other drivers who need to wear seat belts" type complaining about being asked not to smoke in bed. "I don't have time to smoke AND go to bed. Anyway, it's other people who need to be concerned about smoking in bed, I know what I'm doing" *FWOOOOF* and then they and everything they ever owned can share the same urn.
Other ways to not burn your home:
15. Erect bonfires away from bedrooms, closets, and master bathrooms
16. When barbecuing or grilling, take it outside and use an actual grill rather than a pile of hot coals poured underneath a radiator.
17. Do not store hot ashes and burning lumber in your linen closet, or anywhere else you already store towels.
18. Do not substitute wallpaper paste with Sterno.
19. Your arsonist cousin "Buggy" is a bad choice for a housesitter.
20. Replace wall-mounted torches with less fiery sources of light.
21. Never anger Hephaestus, the god of fire and blacksmithing.
22. Offer burnt sacrifices only on your outdoor altar. Reserve your interior altar for small offerings of gold and wine.
23. Do not set your house on fire.
I hope that helps, stay safe kids!
"...and that I'll soon get blown up with this whole planet." I'm going to let this feature take a break from the cont...
If these are from the fans, imagine what their enemies would design. Adventure Comics #403 - besides being a giant-size issue reprin...
They like to watch. A meaningful warning may be made of the lesson learned in the story, "The Phantom Lois Lane," originally ...
Why are there so many dopes dressed as rainbows? It is my heartfelt conviction that my man Rainbow cannot detect sarcasm. I cannot imagi...
Spider Super Stories was a fairly long-running title which was produced by Marvel Comics and the Children's Television Workshop in th...
He looks so uncomfortable. Generally speaking, origin stories are a lot harsher in Western comics than they almost ever are in superher...
It's a weird title for this entry, but just to unpack it: Here's a pair of Quarter-Bin Heroes with which I have, at the very least, ...
Superheroes are all about power, as are the companies providing fuel for America's many industrial, commercial and domestic needs. Also,...
Wait for it ... I've written many times before about the heroes with the toughest origin stories of all -- the ones who had to die ...
"Time-travel balloon" Reading and cataloging the assorted adventures of the Man of Steel for my comprehensive super-blog, The...